Thursday, May 28, 2009

Apologies

Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Barnabus, the baby bird I've been taking care of, developed some swelling around his eyes last week. I took him to the Wildlife Rehab Center in Fort Lauderdale since they have excellent wildlife vets. Unfortunately he has Avian Pox. It's untreatable in wild birds and usually fatal. They suspect his parents may have succumbed to the disease which is why he was orphaned. Poor Barny. I left him at the rehab center since they have the facilities to make him more comfortable than I could.

I did manage to complete a cloth doll for my Aunt this week. Amelia, is for a woman who is a certified pilot and enjoys Winnie the Pooh.



She needs a little bit of cleaning up and then she'll be off.

I've decided to make the little girl from my last post into a hulder. My grandfather grew up in Norway and when he would go back to visit his family he would bring my sister and I books on Trolls and the Huldra. Hulders are a mountain people, the women are very beautiful but depending on where you are they are rumored to have either cow's tails, fox tails or to be hollow from behind. When a hulder marries a farm boy in a Christian church her tail falls off and she becomes a normal wife although some say she will not age and when the husband dies she will return to the mountains. My little hulder will have a cow's tail peeking out from under her bunad (the traditional folk dress of Norway). Unfortunately her bunad will have to be very plain compared to the actual thing considering the years of intricate embroidery that can go into one. Maybe I'll liven it up with ribbon instead since I definitely lack embroidery skill.



The illustration of a hulder that was actually in my book as a little girl! Brings back memories, I remember how shocked my 6 year old self was with the nudity.



One type of local bunad. Like Scottish tartans they vary from region to region.

4 comments:

  1. The doll turned out sweet. I cant wait to see the Hulder doll. What a cool fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable I love her little goggles! Have a great weekend!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good of you to care for that little Barnabus! But sad also that he is sick...still the world needs more caretakers of fragile things...Your dolls are looking fantastic - I love that little teddy. And thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog a few weeks ago...somehow I missed some of my emails, so that's why this is so very late...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hulder?" Wow the things you learn!!! I need to go read up on old folklore, I an so anxious to see this !!!hurry up!! hurry up!!
    blessings,Flora

    ReplyDelete