Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update: Frog Princess


Progress on the Frog Prince doll. Here is the Princess still arm less, hairless and Frog Princeless but she's coming along. I'm hoping to add puff sleeves to her outfit once her arms are ready. Head, lower legs and lower arms are paperclay, body is muslin. Since she is my first experiment in clay I made some tactical errors along the way. Not the least of which is underestimating the weight of her head on a cloth body. Normally for my freestanding dolls I add a little sand to the body to make them perfectly weighted even on uneven ground. Princess is different in that she had to have big, old river rocks sewn into her bottom. Thankfully big poufy skirts and lace lined petticoats hide all manners of sins and she sits wonderfully on her own. Lesson learned. Never underestimate the weight of a big head.

6 comments:

  1. she is going to be wonderful! Keep posting updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I'll be hoping to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute doll so far...love the expressions on your dolls' faces...very expressive. Had to chuckle about the rocks, though. Is the head solid clay? You can lighten the head by sculpting over foil or Styrofoam. That is so funny, though, about never underestimating the weight of a big head.

    Thanks for stopping by blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sue and SugarCain!
    A Painter, her head is actually sculpted over stuffed muslin but I guess the combined weight of the fabric stiffener and thin layer of paperclay was enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is bald...LOL I can't wait to see her finished. By the way, I feel your pain with paypal and setting up Etsy...very time consuming, but once it's done...it's done..well we hope! LOL Have a great day and thanks for popping over to my little world!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a very beautiful doll and with such a lovely dress too. Did you stitch her clothing by hand? I had trouble with setting up Etsy also. Modern technology escapes me at times, but your shop looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete