Friday, April 24, 2009

I love drapery.




I don't know if I'm weird or if everyone has this, but there are a few things in art that really appeal to me. I'll never be an art critic, I can't distinguish "high art" from "low art" and I have very few artists where I am a fan of all their works. But there are some elements that just make a painting, sculpture, etc more enjoyable to me, more appealing. One of them is drapery. I am so jealous of anyone who can sculpt or paint cloth and I love anything featuring rich exaggerated swags of fabric.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Dittico_dei_simmachi_02_V&Am.jpg
http://www.victoriansociety.org/images/flaming%20june.bmp
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/philosophy/ancient/Burne_Jones_The_Wedding_of_Psyche_1895.jpg

Am I the only one with these strange quirks? Is there a particular texture, color, form or degree of intricacy that you find repeated in your favorite works of art? Maybe a mood?

I love knowing why a certain piece of art really resonates with a person. There are pieces I love for the story, history or symbolism of the piece but I'm talking about a more visceral reaction than that. The pictures that you find your eye drawn to for the simplest of reasons. Come on, tell me your quirks.

3 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the rendering of drapery and folds in art. The richness and fluidity that
    a sculptor can achieve in three dimensional form is beautiful, as is the same impression that a painter
    gets by adding the element of shadowing.

    I don't know if I would call this one of my quirks, but I am drawn to
    this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm definitely drawn to things I can't do. Reproducing draped fabric is beyond me, as are hands. Anytime I see a well done expressive hand I'm instantly "whoa how'd they do that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am often drawn to certain textiles.. I love drapery. The way it falls and folds is like a waterfall to me. My am very drawn to soft colors, old milinary flowers, faded ribbons.. I am not so drawn to lace and seldom use it except for the undergarments.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete